PCI Express® Standard Interconnects
PCI Express® Standard Interconnects
PCI Express® is an I/O interconnect bus standard that expands the data transfer rates of original PCI™.
PCI Express® (PCIe®) is a high-speed PC I/O bus standard (which includes a protocol and a layered architecture) that replaces legacy PCI, PCI-X and other bus standards. PCIe® enhancements include high data rates, lower I/O count and smaller footprints. PCI Express® is a two-way, serial connection that carries data in packets along multiple pairs of point-to-point data lanes. This contrasts with the single parallel data bus of traditional PCI that routes data at a set rate.
Initial bit rates for PCI Express® Generation 1 reach 2.5 Gbps per lane direction, which equate to data transfer rates of approximately 200 Mbps.
PCI Express® Generation 2 supports data rates up to 5 Gbps, while PCI Express® Generation 3 supports data rates up to 8 Gbps.
PCI Express® was developed so that high-speed interconnects such as 1394b, USB 2.0, InfiniBand™, and Gigabit Ethernet would have an I/O architecture suitable for their transfer high speeds. Samtec offers products that meet the PCI Express® form factor as well as connectors and cable assemblies that are capable of PCI Express® Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 data rates.
PCI Express® Form Factor
High-speed edge card sockets support one, four, eight and sixteen PCI Express® links and mate with PCI Express® cable assemblies.
- PCIE – PCI Express® Standard Board Level Receptacle
- PCIEC – PCI Express® Extender Cable for debug and characterization
- PCRF – PCI Express® Cable with SMAs for debug
PCI Express® Optical Systems
PCIe® active optical cable assemblies in x4 and x8 form factors with four independent, full-duplex optical channels to support PCIe® Gen 3 data rates up to 100 meters. The systems feature a fully integrated electrical to optical conversion engine available in full active optical cables with host and target, or half active optical cables with MTP end option.
- PCIEA – PCI Express® Active Optical Cable Assembly Adaptor Card
- PCIEO – PCI Express® Optical Extender Cable, capable to Gen 3
- PCIES – PCI Express® Active Optical Cable Assembly and Adaptor Card System
PCI Express®-capable Standard Connectors
Samtec offers a complete portfolio of standard connectors that support PCI Express® Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 data rates. Some examples are below.
- DPAM / DPAF – High-Speed Differential Pair Array
- QMS-DP / QFS-DP – Q2™ High-Speed Connector Strips
- QRM8 / QRF8 – Q Rate® High-Speed Slim Body Connector Strips
- QSE-DP / QTE-DP – Q Pairs® - 0.80 mm High-Speed Connector Strips
- QSH-DP / QTH-DP – Q Pairs® - 0.50 mm High-Speed Connector Strips
- SEAM / SEAF – SEARAY™ High-Speed Open-Pin-Field Array
- RU8 - HSEC8-DV / HSC8 – Board Stacking System
PCI Express®-capable Standard Cable Assemblies
Samtec offers a complete portfolio of standard cable assemblies that support PCI Express® Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 data rates. Some examples are below.
- 6QCD – Q Strip® Coax Cable Assembly
- ECDP – Edge Rate® Edge Card Twinax Cable Assembly
- ECUE – FireFly™ 34 or 36 AWG Copper Micro Flyover System™ Cable Assembly
- ERCD / ERDP – Edge Rate® Coax and Twinax High-Speed Cable Assemblies
- EPLSP / HDLSP – Eye Speed® and Eye Speed® HD High-Speed I/O Cable Assemblies
- EQCD / EQDP – Q Strip® - 0.80 mm Coax and Twinax High-Speed Cable Assemblies
- EQRD – Q Rate® Coax High-Speed Cable Assembly
- FCF8 – High-Speed Cost-Effective Micro Coax Cable Assembly
- HQCD / HQDP – Q Strip® - 0.50 mm Coax and Twinax High-Speed Cable Assemblies
- SEAC – SEARAY™ High-Speed Open-Pin-Field Array Cable Assembly